The New York Times Magazine has an article on the debate about "they"
as singular versus plural.

I have a NY Times account, but I think that you can access this for a
limited time.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/26/magazine/26FOB-onlanguage-t.html?_r=1&ref=magazine

They state as some have here that many people, including some famous
authors, have used "they" as singular, but that isn't yet accepted as
universal.

Chauncey