>From my experience, a button is usually significant in a "moving
forward" "submitting" ... as in "dong something".

However, I have encountered imballances in my design work which
required a sort of hybrid.  For a user to easily navigate and move
"forward" without having to think much on it, usually it'll be
larger and more obvious, for the Left-to-right, Top to bottom
cultural settings, either the top-right or bottom right would be the
best use for forward, but for backwards - perhaps try something that
is smaller with a backwards facing arrow.  Iconic, but not quite as
"buttonish" as the forward.

Sometimes just a simple link with an icon to the left of it works as
well.

I'd play with it in a few variations to see what works best.