Hi,

I also know the problem particularly when I discuss with developers.
Often I have the situation that we have a form that can be submitted
(so we have a "save" or "ok" button) and we have a "cancel"
button.

The points we discuss is:
- do we need a cancel button on a website where you can click
somewhere else and you can start again - and
- should the cancel button look like a button or a link - because the
developers opinion is, that it works like a link so it should look
like a link.

My opinion is that in most of the cases the user don't know what
happens behind the UI so he don't have a problem that it look like a
button.

Moreover a button has the advantage that it is better visible and if
the user often uses this functionality and doesn't find it at the
first sight you can use the "button" design (or as Ariel mentioned
to support the link with an icon).

Br, Claudia

***
http://usabilitytalks.blogspot.com