Stu, I had a similar feeling after trying Flash Catalyst.  I attempted
to build a prototype with it and quit pretty early in the process,
hanging my head in frustration.  I couldn't seem to get it to do
anything.  (Granted my ActionScript skills are limited at best.)  For
the past couple of weeks I've been using Blend 3 with Sketchflow and
have a had a much, MUCH better experience.