You know, I was thinking about my responses to your inquiry and I
don't really know if the above-mentioned plugin will be all that
helpful.

Regarding the filtering, it would probably be easier to just iterate
through all the list items and show() or hide() the ones you need to
(or something similar). The rest of the functionality seems pretty
straightforward.

Anyway, sorry for all the (probably not-so-helpful) replies. I'd be
curious to find out about any interesting results you come across in
your testing, and see your working prototype if you'd be willing to
share :)

-Colin