On Aug 11, 2009, at 7:15 PM, Kim McGalliard wrote:

This isn't an argument about which is better because I think they both have their strengths and weaknesses (you can do tons of stuff with Visio, and Excel, xml and macros that you can't do with InDesign).

Not meant to be an argument. Just a statement of fact that if you're comfortable using InDesign for wireframing then there's really no need to switch. Biggest advantage of InDesign is that it's cross platform, whereas Visio isn't.

Neither Visio nor InDesign were originally designed for wireframing, but InDesign was originally designed for documentation, which is what wireframes are, or should be.

Personally, I don't have an allegiance to either one as we don't really do wireframe documentation—we just go right to prototypes. Our paper sketches are the closest thing to a wireframe that we have.

While Visio has some powerful scripting capabilities, so does InDesign. In fact, you might want to check out 8shapes Unify system http://unify.eightshapes.com/ to see what you can really do w/InDesign.

Cheers!

Todd Zaki Warfel
Principal Design Researcher
Messagefirst | Designing Information. Beautifully.
Contact Info
Voice:  (215) 825-7423
Email:  t...@messagefirst.com
AIM:    twar...@mac.com