I don%u2019t see a lot of convenience or utility to customers from
having the full header in the community section. Looking through the
site, I think the question is the degree to which you want the
community to appear to be a separate entity from the primary
offering. The examples below illustrate a range of options from
completely integrated to almost completely differentiated.

Amazon completely integrates community into into its product catalog.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EZYKTS/ref=s9_al_gw_tr02/179-0449618-1343656?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=1FG9MJMZR5FS1MFW2C5A&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=488826231&pf_rd_i=507846

HP keeps the header on the landing page of communities%u2026
http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/welcome.html#Connect

%u2026but then uses a streamlined header once you%u2019ve selected a
community
http://www.communities.hp.com/online/

Dell uses a market segment approach to global navigation, similar to
TrendMicro%u2019s global nav. Once you go to the community piece, you
see a streamlined header that makes it seem like you are on slightly
more neutral territory.
http://en.community.dell.com/forums/

Best Buy has a community site that is clearly distinct from its
primary e-retail site, but which does not sub-branded to the extent
that Sears is.
http://www.forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Computers/bd-p/Computers_New

Pampers does the inverse of Amazon, integrating its product offering
into the community piece.
http://www.pampers.com/en_US/Shop

Sears uses a completely different visual treatment for its community,
giving you the impression that you are closer to the other customers
and a bit removed from the commercial entity Sears.
http://www.mysears.com/

Paul Bryan

Director, User Research and Design Strategy
Usography Corporation (www.usography.com)
Linked In: http://www.linkedin.com/in/uxexperts