I guess you will to address  UCD as philosophy.

As previous gays said, there're two level for UCD in the design culture, one
from design philosophy perspective, other from process perspective. Design
cant avoid the former one, because all artifact is "by the people, for the
people and of the people", but that dosent means one should follow some
named UCD process ( most of the case, it more like a street to a dead end,
but it's not a reason to say design is not centered on people and people's
needs ).
On of Jared's argumentation is good design, or the quality of design, which
is the a very good topic, but that's a different perspective for design (
UCD is for the people from philosophy perspective ), good design is for the
quality perspective, they have no conflicts from the root,  treat them as
conflict or same level problem is a problem.

Regards,
-- Jarod

@jarodtang
http://designforuse.blogspot.com/