On 2 Sep 2009, at 04:49, Andrei Herasimchuk wrote:

* Implementing 3.5" hard disk floppies when they were not standard in the market, but contained more data storage. This was a product design and technology decision, and certainly did not help customers out of the gate since it could hard to find these disks when the first Macs shipped.

Just to be sad and techie for a bit...

More storage wasn't the only (or maybe not even the main) advantage of the 3.5" floppy (and the similar 3" floppy that I don't think ever made it into machines outside of the UK in the 80's.)

Indeed there were 5.25" floppy formats that met or exceeded the storage size of the 3.5" floppy at the time Apple stuck it in their machines.

For me the big advantage was
1) impossible to eject mid-read/write causing data loss and possible damage to drive & disk (folk were _always_ doing this in my experience) 2) Due to the covered nature of the disk - much harder to get crud in disk and onto drive - again avoiding damage to disk & drive

Cheers,

Adrian (who was very happy to see the back of 8" and 5.25" floppies back in the day :)

--
http://quietstars.com  -  twitter.com/adrianh  -  delicious.com/adrianh