I tried to make a change to a site I'm new to working on, to remove
the page title as the last element of the breadcrumb and simply treat
the title itself as the last element in the breadcrumb, including a >
last and keeping the title immediately below. I was surprised that
not only wasn't it a simple argument to make, but I met staid
refusal from the design team.

My argument was that repeating the page title is redundant, removing
anything that's redundant and isn't functional is good, especially
given the fairly busy nature of their pages, and that it's not
necessary to orient the user since the location information is clear
either way. (We have no research showing people lost or confused, but
we do have research showing people having difficulty finding things
near the top of the page, albeit only in wireframes.)

Their argument is that it's useful to reinforce where the user is,
and that since people don't focus on it unless it's needed
secondarily for navigation, it adds negligible to no visual noise to
the page. The other arguments are that it's better for SEO and we
have bigger fish to fry.

Nielsen says include it but doesn't say why
(http://www.useit.com/alertbox/breadcrumbs.html). A survey shows a
surprising lack of consistency on this issue. Apple, Don Norman's
site, and Ideo don't repeat the page title. Yahoo!, Google and
nngroup.com do.

I probably won't be able to make this change happen, but curious on
others thoughts?