I think this view is rooted in a misunderstanding of what personas are and what they are meant to be used for. Among other things, personas are a way to represent research about the commonalities among your user's goals and behavior patterns in a manageable way. I find it hard to believe that there is research that bears out that you have 50 completely distinct sets of high-level goals and behavior patterns among your users (or that if you do, that these people can all be successfully served by one product).

I know that personas aren't the only way to approach these questions and they are not the only tool you need to create a successful product, but they can definitely work for mass consumer products.

-Adam