Whenever I see a debate about wayfinding I think of Donna Spencer's
excellent article for Boxes and Arrows, "Four Modes of Information
Seeking and How to Design for Them"

http://www.boxesandarrows.com/view/four_modes_of_seeking_information_and_how_to_design_for_them

It's a nice way to open up the dialogue about search vs browse into
the psychology that predicates both and the design choices we have to
meet those behaviors.

%u201CThe most important issue is not whether you notice a mode of
seeking information that fits into one of these categories, but that
a range of modes exist.%u201D DSpencer

(ps. I bear no known relation to Donna. I know her as Donna Maurer.)