I agree with the idea of search being a powerful interface and that
"Google is our interface" idea. Even app launchers like Quicksilver
(OSX) have worked very well and they are fundamentally search.

However there are a few points that make it not so simple

1. From an experience standpoint the difference is same as asking a
customer to go to front desk and ask about something v/s approaching
the customer and introducing yourself. That applies to marketing
messages but also to navigation. Search is more in the category of
asking customer to go to a front desk - I think there is an
impersonal feeling to it.

I looked at Sequio capital example and it just makes me stop and
think what should I do next

2.  Recognition v/s recall - Search requires recall of sorts, there
is a decision required on how to form the query and more. Browsing on
the other hand is more on the recognition side.

3. From a business standpoint you do want to make the customer aware
of the products without being dependent on the user asking the right
question because in many case they might not know that a particular
kind of product is offered by Adobe.

I think what will help is a simplification of product listing,
currently it's just a  list of product names with every variation,
for e.g.  Photoshop CS4 and Photoshop CS4 extended, there are 12
flash related products and so on.I think the customer would need
better guidance.

- Alok Jain (AJ)