I'm not advocating doing things poorly, just saying that these things (usability, aesthetics, beauty, delightfulness) aren't on/off propositions. And, while they are intertwined, there is some slack. It is possible (and may sometimes be appropriate) to fiddle with design elements that make a product more aesthetically pleasing but less usable (without making it unusable) and vice versa.

I have a Nooka watch that's a little bit hard to read but it is delightful. If it were more usable, it would lose its appeal. The default desktop images on Mac and Windows make it harder to read/find things on the desktop, but they (arguably) make interacting with the computer more delightful than a solid color would. The switches in the center console of the Mini Cooper aren't the most usable design for their functions, but they contribute to the overall delight of that driving experience. How you measure success for these products is different than how you would probably measure success for a time punch clock, a medical device or a forklift (which is not to say that that aesthetics do not play a role in their usability).

I'm also not trying to argue that there is always a tradeoff between aesthetics and usability, but that it's not so black and white as more usable = more delightful = more successful, in part because there is no single measure of success.

-Adam