I have been looking, unsuccessfully, through back issues of interactions
magazine for an article, published a few years back, written I believe by
someone from Microsoft as part of a debate about statistical significance in
usability testing. There was something of a debate about testing with large
numbers of users, and this article, as I recall, made an eloquent case for
sticking to six to eight participants. Does anyone remember this? Perhaps I'm
wrong in recalling that it was in interactions.