It is dependent on how many issues there are, the cultural variance of your
user base, and the margin of error you are happy with. Five users or even 10
is not enough on a modern well designed web site.

The easy way to think of a Usability Test is a treasure hunt. If the
treasure is very obvious then you will need fewer people, if less obvious
then you will need more people. If you increase the area of the hunt then
you will need more people. Most of the advocates of only testing 5 to 10
users, experience comes from one country. Behaviour changes significantly
country by country, even in Western Europe. See my blog post here :
http://blog.feralabs.com/2009/01/does-culture-effect-online-behaviour/

If your client website has 1 million visitors a year, a usability issue that
effects 10% of the users would be unlikely to be discovered on a test of
only 5 to 10 users, but would give 100,000 people a bad experience when they
visit the site.

Can you find treasure with only five or ten users. Of course you can. But
how sure can you be that you have found even significant issues.

A very good argument in why 10 is not enough is Woolrych and Cockton 2001.
They point out an issue in Nielsen formula in that he does not take into
account the visibility of an issue. They show using only 5 users can
significantly under count even significant usability issues.

The following powerpoint from an eyetracking study demonstrates the issue
with only using a few users.
http://docs.realeyes.it/why50.ppt

You may also want to look at the margin of error for the test that you are
doing.

All the best

James
blog.feralabs.com