One of the best design typography books I use is "Stop Stealing Sheep
(& Find Out How Type Works) by Erik Spiekermann and E.M. Ginger.

It originally came out in 1993 and a second edition in 2003 that
added some content on how type works on the web. I used the original
edition when I was teaching graphic art and design as a good primer
on the art of typography, and now have the updated 2003 edition.

It was written mainly for the printed page, however typography is
once again becoming more important as a broader range of tools and
CSS tweaks are now becoming more common on the web.

It is not a technical "how to" book - it is more of a book that
shows you the ideas and rules of thumb behind designing with type. It
is a good book and I'm sure you'll all get a few "ah ha!" moments
out of it.

Highly recommend.

Stephen Holmes
Canberra, ACT, Australia

"When you plant a tree, never plant only one. Plant three -- one for
shade, one for fruit, and one for beauty."
-African proverb