Scott,
I am glad you came back with a second attempt. We are in the process
of moving from traditional waterfall SDLC to Agile/Scrum. The UI and
Web designers are housed in our Creative Services Dept separate from
MIS. The Biz Analysts are under the umbrella of MIS. Historically the
BRD has ruled but SCRUM is forcing a faster way of moving and doing.
We are being told that the BRD (complete with full mock ups of look
and feel along with CSS style sheets and HTML) is going away and
things will be more adhoc.  We have yet to officially define how that
will impact on our dept relative to User Testing, UX design, etc.  We
are about to install JIRA for issue tracking, project management, and
we will have Gliffy (flowcharting and diagramming) and Balsamiq for
wireframes both of which are plug ins into JIRA. I think we will see
more wireframing, possibly less full mock ups but it is too soon to
tell.  I haven't really answered your question...sorry.  However you
at least now know that other shops struggle with the "to BRD or not
to BRD" and there doesn't seem to be a strick answer. I recently
attended a workshop by Dan Brown and Concept Modeling. I can
definitely see this as a way to speak to the architecture of a site,
to some extent a high level fleshing out of the content, the users,
the owners, etc. I know my dept. could use the approach but I dont
know if the stakeholders and/or MIS would ever embrace it.  It is
just jazzy enough (from the tried and true tradition of software and
web site dev) that maybe the timing is NOW to introduce that as
another way of looking at how to build a good experience for the
user.
I will be interested to see if anyone else posts to our posts :-).