On Nov 17, 2009, at 11:05 AM, Charles B. Kreitzberg wrote:

> It would be great to learn about techniques that can make PowerPoint more
> usable as a prototyping tool.

As Fred Beecher points out in his recent UIE virtual seminar, fidelity comes in
two flavors: functionality and visual aesthetics. I really like the way Fred
illustrates these two levels of fidelity using an X/Y plot.

Keeping that in mind, PowerPoint won't get you high fidelity visual aesthetics
on its own. Typically, it's combined with Photoshop, Illustrator, or something
similar to create the visual assets and pull them into PowerPoint for
prototyping.

PowerPoint can get you a fairly moderate to high level of fidelity on the
functional axis. I've even done things like fake javascript fade techniques (a
pretty standard Ajax-style transition) in PPT. While it's not as robust as HTML
or Flash, it's a tool with a fairly low learning curve and it's on nearly every
business machine on the planet, making it readily accessible.

Oh, and if you're interested in finding out how to prototype with PPT, why not
pick up the book Prototyping: a practitioner's guide. I cover PPT and 5 other
tools in there, each with it's own hands on tutorial, as well as a number of
general best practices and guidelines for prototyping regardless of the tool or
method.

Pick up a copy of the book http://bit.ly/19Hiir and save 15% with PRPUBNOT.
You'll even get sample files and templates for prototyping in Fireworks, PPT,
and other programs.

Cheers!

Todd Zaki Warfel
Principal Designer
Messagefirst | Designing Information. Beautifully.
Contact Info
Voice:  (215) 825-7423
Email:  t...@zakiwarfel.com
Blog:   zakiwarfel.com