Thank you for all the great feedback and keep it coming  :D.

design spec:

Are goal is to write as little as possible in the design specs. We
have a very globally distributed team and have found that there is a
lot of misunderstanding that happens in a design spec. Also the spec
becomes a pain to maintain and often are not read after being
updated.  This is why creating prototypes to describe interactions is
much more desirable from both a testing and development perspective.
We also found that by not testing the dynamic interactions that
issues arise because the dynamic interactions weren't thought of.
This is especially true with how docked expand collapse panes work.

There is of course the flip side of doing prototypes which is writing
and maintaining code. This is why I wanted to see where the technology
was to see if it has helped mitigate some of these risks.

As of now, I am thinking we might need a mix of technologies. Using
Axure for most of the interactions and then using a html based
version for the more dynamic scenarios.

Thank you again for all the great feedback and feel free to keep the
discussion going.