Hej John,

What I may have missed in your list is a description/definition of who the user of the product is. In my opinion it makes quite some difference whether it is a trained proffesional (that is able to learn the meaning of icons and "out of context" text labels) or a layman (who most likely doesn't know anything else than her own mother language and isn't familiair with the icons).

regards,
Gerard

Daynes, John schreef:
Hi IxDA community,
I'm working on an emergency medical product that will be sold around the
world into countries with as many as 20 different languages. It will
have a display and control panel, and a number of external labels. There
will be associated operator's manuals and service manuals that will also
need to be translated. One of our major costs, both in schedule and
dollars, is the localization. I'm just wondering if you have used or
encountered some clever solutions to the localization burden. Here are some things to keep in mind:
*       This is a physical product, not a Web app
*       Symbols/icons will already be used where they can be easily
understood, but many controls will need text
*       The info on the display will be the easiest to deal with--it's
keypads, labels and such that present the largest challenge
*       It may be used in an environment where it could be dropped or
bumped into hard objects
*       Figure a weight somewhere between 10 and 15 lbs

Since it's an emergency device, we try to design out use errors as best
we can. It has to be easy to use.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks,

John Daynes

[CONFIDENTIALITY AND PRIVACY NOTICE]

Information transmitted by this email is proprietary to Medtronic and is
intended for use only by the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and
may contain information that is private, privileged, confidential or exempt
from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient or
it appears that this mail has been forwarded to you without proper authority,
you are notified that any use or dissemination of this information in any
manner is strictly prohibited. In such cases, please delete this mail from your
records.
To view this notice in other languages you can either select the following link or manually copy and paste the link into the address bar of a web browser: http://emaildisclaimer.medtronic.com