Christine,

You make an intresting point.

Some academic claim that Usability is not Science but instead an ethic. See
Paul Cairns & Harold Thimbleby 2008 http://en.scientificcommons.org/42316368
I am not fully convinced of this but I think it is an intresting argument.

If Usability is an Ethic then the objectivity of Usability falls under the
Phislisopical argument about objectivity in Ethics.

Thomas Nagel (1979) made the argument that while a particluar judgment may
not be objective, the responce can be. For example, human suffering gives
everyone reason to do what he or she can to alleviate it. Kant said that
even though Ethical judgements are comands that can not be true or false,
they still can be correct.
You can view a lecture of Nagels here :
http://www.tannerlectures.utah.edu/lectures/documents/nagel80.pdf on
Objectivty.

Of cource there are arguments that Objectivity is subjective, but when this
holds true we fall into traps abouts Universal rights and wrongs.

Do you think that Usability could be an Ethic?

All the best

James