From: discuss-boun...@lists.interactiondesigners.com
[mailto:discuss-boun...@lists.interactiondesigners.com] On Behalf Of
Christine Boese
Sent: Mon, Jan 11, 2010 5:15
To: Jaanus Kase
Cc: disc...@ixda.org
Subject: Re: [IxDA Discuss] Thought experiment: Law against usability that's
TOO good?

I had a feeling we were both honing in on the same goals, Jaanus, and
weren't really too far off. I'm just sensitive to the neutral tool argument
because at one time I tried to hold to that reasoning, and was shown how it
didn't hold up.

But we hold the same values, and I really like that we're thinking about
these things, and talking about how to negotiate those complex territories.

Chris

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 1:57 PM, Jaanus Kase <jaa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Christine,
>
> I agree with what you say and I did not think that aspect through
> enough when posting. I subscribe to everything that you say;
> additionally, I like the research that says that our language affects
> our thinking, and that it has been proven that the thought patterns of
> different languages are different. Even though language is supposed to
> be value-neutral, it does affect thinking.
>
> One of the most important values attributed to usability that I know
> of, is that it is generally meant to improve human condition in the
> widest sense. That is precisely what made me respond to the initial
> post. If companies are doing a good job with improving human
> condition with their products, and using these products to accomplish
> their possibly malicious business objectives, then in my view it is
> not right to make the products "less usable" and thereby make the
> human condition worse than it could be. Instead, the response should
> be to scrutinize the businesses on the other, "backend" side, to
> make sure that they do not abuse their power.

> Posted from the new ixda.org
> http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=48267

09:35:00