For question #3: We've used many un-moderated (aka automated)
usability tools in the past, including Usabilla, Loop11, OptimalSort,
UserZoom, and MindCanvas (now defunct).

Our take on automated research is that it's good for resolving or
validating very specific, targeted usability issues%u2014how long
does it take for people to long in on the new site vs. the old site?
Where do people drop off in the shopping cart task flow? Where do
people click when looking for contact information? And so on.

Obviously, this is only a very limited slice of the overall point of
user research%u2014to gain insight into how people use a product /
service / interface. You're unlikely to gain deep insight into why
people behave the way they do, how it fits into the context of their
lives and larger goals, or the circumstances under which they're
using the interface.

As for specific tools, we loved MindCanvas, but it's kaput now.
Usabilla is a newcomer that has many of the same features, but a
handful of glitches and shortcomings (which Paul Veugen assures us
will be addressed soon). UserZoom and WebEffective are feature-rich,
but the browser-bar prompt method isn't ideal for capturing natural
usage. OptimalSort is great for card sorting.

A few other tools we're less familiar with, but have heard good
things about: Loop11, OpenHallway, Webnographer, UserTesting.com, and
lots more.

There are two books due to be released later this month, which deal
specifically with automated research tools and methods.

The first is the book I co-authored with Nate Bolt, Remote Research,
which takes a practical approach to setting up and conducting a
remote study, as well as containing a comprehensive list of tools,
with accompanying capsule reviews:
http://www.rosenfeldmedia.com/books/remote-research/

The second, which we obviously haven't read yet, is by Bill Albert
et al., and it's called Beyond the Usability Lab:
http://www.beyondtheusabilitylab.com/

By the way, we maintain a list of automated (and moderated) tools on
this page: http://remoteusability.com/tools/

And Elizabeth Bacon also keeps a public Google Docs spreadsheet:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AiUefdff4crxcGMtTkFlRExtWUZ2ZUNSbEllak51RkE&hl=en

Hope this helps!

Tony T.
twitter.com/boltpeters