Luke,

I like your assessment. A few additional points:
- how well the iPad will work as an ebook reader with a glossy, reflective
screen - particularly outdoors or in natural lighting - is a concern. A
removable anti-glare cover/film might be a good addition;
- the choice of separate iPod & iTunes Store seems a strange one to me. And
branding the media library as iPod - when the iPhone has the exact same
capabilities with an iTunes app - doesn't gel.
- I'm curious to see the licensing model around books. US-only distribution
at the outset raises concerns for me.
- I would also liked to have seen a stylus or pen option. The form-factor
lends itself to hand-written note-taking and would have been an interesting
extension to the iPhone/iPod Touch experience.
- hardware connections on Apple products are a major annoyance for me, so
I'm hoping the dock connector is the same as the iPhone.
- I really wish there was the ability to run multiple applications at once
and switch between them. I barely understand this on the iPhone; I don't get
it at all on a device like this one.

Steve

2010/1/28 Luke Wroblewski <l...@lukew.com>

> Since no one has brought it up yet... I'll go.
>
> Overall what was expected. The big innovation for me is all this stuff
> integrated in one simple package. Which is kind of being glossed over in the
> press. and the price point -very low.
> -liked the rebuilt apple apps. calendar & contacts are nicely rethought.
> lots of new ui in iwork.
> -the times demo is just the start of the kind of integrated media
> experiences you can build. my thoughts on that:
> http://www.lukew.com/ff/entry.asp?951
> -the <http://www.lukew.com/ff/entry.asp?951%0A-the> cover is awesome
> design it supports swivel, tip, and protects
> -the $9 for numbers vs. $229 for excel is really interesting from a
> business perspective
>
> Notable hardware gaps (concerning cause no software update will fix)
> -camera
> -storage sizes 64GB for videos, photos, and music -does not cut it
> -usb port -it uses "camera" adaptors instead
> -GPS only on 3G model
> -how's it work with an iphone?
>
> Notable software gaps (can/will be addressed with software updates)
> -multiple iphone apps running at once
> -multiple users -how do you share the device at home?
> -doesn't run flash = many holes on web pages
> -no really new interactions -all iphone UI or the most part. but lots of
> the floating controls outlined here:
> http://www.lukew.com/ff/entry.asp?983
>
> your thoughts?
>

> ::
> ::    Luke Wroblewski -[ www.lukew.com ]
> ::    Principal/Founder, LukeW Ideation & Design
> ::    l...@lukew.com  |  408.513.7207
> ::
> ::    Blog: http://www.lukew.com/ff/
> ::    New Book: http://www.lukew.com/resources/web_form_design.asp
> ::    Book: http://www.lukew.com/resources/site_seeing.html
> ::

Steve 'Doc' Baty | Principal | Meld Studios | P: +61 417 061 292 | E:
st...@meldstudios.com.au | Twitter: docbaty | Skype: steve_baty | LinkedIn:
www.linkedin.com/in/stevebaty