On Feb 2, 2010, at 12:28 AM, Daniel Szuc wrote:

Hi:

There is a "magic place" that exists between user research
(speaking with your users & stakeholders), taking all that goodness
and designing the product with that in mind and speaking to it.

Often, user research can fall into a chasm because there is no up
front thought put into how it can translate into the design.

So what has worked well for you?

For example:
* How do you translate findings from user research into design?
* What do you plan for up front in your user research to help
communicate your design?
* What do you use to tell a story around and to the design?
* How do you help sell the design and also speak to the issues?

Note - I have deliberately left out speaking to a specific UX method,
rather looking for tips & stories.

Look forward to learning from you all.

rgds,
Dan

Hi Dan,

  I think there are two parts.

First, you do have to think ahead to design the research you're doing to answer specific questions. What are the concerns about the design? Where are there gaps in what the team knows? What are they having difficulty making decisions about?

Second, the best teams I've met look at what they've heard and what they've seen in the completed sessions with users through a meaningful and thorough process, going from observations to inferences to opinions to theories, which they then test. Going through each of those steps is incredibly important for solving the *right* problems, answering the questions the team went into a given study with. And this is the step that I see most teams missing. Instead, they jump from observing users to design direction, without the close examination of what happened and why.

  Great questions -

Dana

Dana Chisnell
415.519.1148