On Feb 2, 2010, at 12:28 AM, Daniel Szuc wrote:

> There is a "magic place" that exists between user research
> (speaking with your users & stakeholders), taking all that goodness
> and designing the product with that in mind and speaking to it.
>
> Often, user research can fall into a chasm because there is no up
> front thought put into how it can translate into the design.
>
> So what has worked well for you?

I address this a lot in Designing for Interaction 2 (mostly because it was a
gross omission in the 1st edition).

The steps are pretty simple, although hard to execute well:

- Put research data on the walls (make it physical)
- Manipulate the now-physical data and make them into Conceptual Models
(personas are one kind of perceptual model)
- Ideate based on the conceptual models, particularly around pain points and
opportunities uncovered in research
- Create design principles based on what is known from research, plus the best
ideas from concepting

Dan

Dan Saffer
Principal, Kicker Studio