This orientation and numbering is much easier to follow, but a few things still stand out for me:

1. Using timelines implies that the dates are laid out to some sort of scale, but they aren't. For example, the distance between 1642 and 1646 (4 years) is about the same distance as between 1646 and 2059 (419 years). So, it looks like the placement of dates on the timelines is driven by the text layout of the associated descriptions. Instead, I think you need to first lay out the dates on the timeline in a way that makes sense without the descriptions (which doesn't have to be exactly to scale), then find a way to add the text descriptions within that framework.

2. That the alternate timeline is at an angle suggests that time is progressing at a different rates on the two lines, but it seems that's not the case, since 1627 lines up vertically. Either it needs to be clearer that time is progressing at different rates, or just use parallel lines.

3. It seems the dotted line for the "targeted return" should drop down to the original timeline.

Regards, Adam