Hi Stephen,

In Spain the symbols you mention are used, but I think they pre-date
the internet as they were already on cassette and VHS players, so
maybe it's not the best example for the impact of the internet on
language (?).  - Whether the internet and sites like YouTube have
consolidated the use these of these icons could be another matter.

In terms of language, it's true that the word "play" has entered
the Spanish (spoken) language (whether due to cassette players or
later technology, I don't know), but interestingly enough I would
say it is not used as a verb, but rather as the name of the button
(or icon).

The verb "to play" in this sense would be "reproducir".  But you
could tell someone to "dale al play" or  "hit play".  I guess
these words are/were printed on a lot of tape recorders, CD players
etc and that's why.

The verb "pausar" already exists in Spanish, so doesn't really
change from the original Spanish as the words are so similar.
"Stop" already existed (seen on road signs for example).

Hope that helps!

Elizabeth