Bruce,

I am not taking issue with database management of vector data sets, but with the stuffing of raster data into databases. I still have not heard a compelling use case for raster in the database.

12 million records is teensy. Stuff it into PostGIS. It's the billion- point LIDAR sets that leave me queasy, but I can't begin to think of a reasonable architecture for that without learning more about how the points are actually USED, which I really am not clear on at the moment.

P.