andrea antonello wrote:
Among the things that QGIS (and other open source desktops) can't do
are a table join, a spatial join

 I'm not sure what you mean with spatial join, but if you mean overlay, and
raster combination GRASS can do, and it can also do table joins, while it
overlays two vector layers.

open source", my answer is "in general, no, but maybe for a specific
use case".

 I'd say: "In general yes (In some respects GRASS is superior to Arc in
analysis), but some things can be harder / more complicated or not
possible". GRASS is a perfectly capable desktop GIS package with over 200
modules.

I agree with Paul, power without control doesn't lead anywhere. GRASS
is of huge power, but following my past commercial experiences, I

Hehe, didn't you just say "my past proprietary experiences"?

Sorry to be dense and all that...

:-)

PS:
What was a Desktop GIS exactly? I only have a browser and for some strange
reason all that I do starts with an http://...

would say "in general no, because most times they don't want the
overhead of GRASS for exactly those things they need".

Andrea

 --Wolf

 --

 <:3 )---- Wolf Bergenheim ----( 8:>