On 5/15/08, Chris Puttick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  ----- "P Kishor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  > >
>  > >  But disagree there. Switching from M$ documents to 'real' open
>  > source
>  > > documents and dropping licensed graphical data in favour of OSM and
>  > other
>  > > free map data opens the door to 'Standardising' on something that we
>  > can all
>  > > cooperate on.
>  >
>  > It still is not clear what the "something" is... are you advocating a
>  > standard for a license or a standard for a format? Are you talking
>  > about standards in office-productivity applications (word-processing,
>  > spreadsheet, presentation software) or in databases (should we
>  > boycott
>  > everyone who uses Oracle and Ingres?) or remote sensing (does IDL go
>  > out the window?) or medical imaging or audio or video or ... you get
>  > the picture. Let me repeat my question.
>  >
>  > Standard for what?
>  >
>  >

> Standards for everything that matters.

Chris,

You are conflating a whole boatload of things here, and "everything
that matters" is about the biggest boatload there can be.

>  A physical example: in the UK we have a standard for electrical plugs and
> sockets and for the supply. This means that I can buy a lamp or a fridge I
> can be sure it will be able to plug in to my electrical socket and just work
> and I don't risk death by using it.

And, when I travel from the US to the UK, I am sol unless I carry a
"driver" or a "translator" that allows me to connect my appliance to
the UK grid.

What was the standard here? I didn't force UK to change to 110 v and
to flat pins. I just went to the market and bought a translator.

>  It is my choice to have switched sockets or unswitched. The plug can be
> black or white or chrome (hopefully not chrome...); it can be rubberised and
> curvy or hard plastic and square. The sockets can be sunk into the wall or
> surface mounted or in trunking and also any colour/material (mine are black
> nickel, which is nice without being too much, but I digress...). It doesn't
> matter i.e. these factors are not part of standard, because what matters is
> that the socket has 3 specifically sized rectangular pins, positioned just
> so, with the right pin "live" and fused appropriately, the left pin neutral
> and the top pin earth. The socket needs to have the equivalent sized and
> placed holes and wired appropriately and if switched the switch needs to meet
> certain specifications. The UK electrical supply is legally required to be
> 50Hz AC at 230V +/- 10%
>
>  That's it. That's the bits that need to be standardised. And not only are
> supply and sockets and plugs standardised but mandated to be so. This means I
> can buy my sockets from whomever made by whomever and my plugs are sourced by
> the manufacturers of my electrical equipment from whomever. Bring it all
> together with my power supply from yet another supplier and it all works fine.
>
>  SQL already is a standard (the openness of it let's debate another day). A
> well-behaved (R/O)DBMS responds more or less the same way to an SQL query as
> the others. This has been a useful evolution of databases, reflecting their
> relative age. But we do not have standards in many areas of digital life
> where it would be important, or where the standards exist, they are not being
> mandated and therefore are not being adopted.

SQL is not a data storage format. SQL is a query standard, and a
fairly malleable one.

Are you talking about data storage formats or about query standards?

>  So the shortish answer to your question: standards for the digital plugs and
> sockets and standards for the digital power supply. The plugs and sockets are
> the APIs and the protocols; lots of that is already sorted. The digital power
> supply is the information that flows, the stuff that is important in this
> information age we are entering. It is there we are short of standards. I
> don't want to dictate to anyone what software they should use. I do think I
> should be able to demand that they provide information in a standardised
> format and this not be an issue because they don't have a specific software
> package. Where there are no available standards we have to be pragmatic
> initially, but we must move, with some urgency, towards a position where
> there are standards for those interchanges i.e. develop them either from
> existing formats or by starting clean.

My shortish reply is that there is no shortish reply. I am with you
with regards to the sentiment. But I am convinced that the
digistan/"Hague declaration" is not the way to go about doing so.

We've had a lot of discussion about standards on OSGeo lists as well
as on Geowanking lists. Some of that discussion merits re-reading.

Some are born standards (Shapefiles, by virtue of first-entry as well
as subsequent ubiquity), some achieve standards (OGC-type standards by
discussion and committee), and others have standards thrust upon them
(big agencies using MS-Word or ArcGIS).

In the end, the most useful and easy to implement format and query
interchange method approaches the level of a standard.

>  It's not about control or restrictions, its about real choice. You get to
> choose which applications you use for which jobs and do so without concerns
> about operating systems or the applications being used by your client or
> other stakeholders, because the information will flow as a standard all can
> read without issue.
>
>  As to why governments first? Another long answer for another time...
>

>  Chris
>

>  ------
>  Files attached to this email may be in ISO 26300 format (OASIS Open Document
> Format). If you have difficulty opening them, please visit
> http://iso26300.info for more information.

I found this end-tag to your email quite humorous unintentionally --
thankfully no file was attached, but if it had been, and if I had had
difficulty opening it, seems like it would have been my responsibility
to figure out how to open it. Thankfully, my life didn't depend on it.
Some "standards" have a long way to go before they become a standard.