All,

Did anyone else hear that thunder in the distance?  :c)

That's what I've been trying to say, let the projects handle this sort of thing
themselves, but OSGEO CAN (and SHOULD in my mind) coordinate a standardized
look and feel to such things.

bobb

On Jun 7, 2010, at 11:03 AM, Bob Basques wrote:

> Wouldn't it seem prudent to classify the projects before trying to compare
> them?

/me screams into a room that no one can hear.  Stop it!

This whole exercise is quite frankly, masturbatory, and does nothing to help
the projects who would be rated, provides very little to those "users" of said
ratings, and calls into question our credibility by having the arrogance to
rate *our own* projects in any way.  OSGeo is doing enough by providing
visibility for the projects, and it is up to them to pull them in as users with
the quality of their software, the quality of their documentation, and the
quality of their community.  A silly sticker by us or anyone else isn't going
to sway that process in any way.

It would be more valuable to collate a series of "elevator pitch"-type material
from each project who wishes to participate to make their case to the
envisioned users of this rating.  Projects who do not participate in this for
whatever reason implicitly make a statement about their quality. That's going
to be far more useful to both the projects and the users than an elongating
graphic.