Allen,

You need the Centimeter stuff to realize that something moved over the two
years.  Besides, that just ends up being a re-projection in the end anyway.

  :c)

bobb

On Oct 5, 2010, at 9:58 PM, Bob Basques wrote:

>  All,
>
> I'm a long time address database creation/maintenance/re-creation fiend
> myself.
>
> I've also been working with the USNG (MGRS) gridding system the last few
> years, and need to at least suggest the idea of
> using a Gridding system to locate things.  This idea is not nbew, but USNG
> usage has gained quite a bit of ground the
> last couple of years across all level of government, with a large emphasis
> placed on using it for disaster response.
>
> Tying a placeName to a grid location that can describe things down to the
> centimeter if needed and still stay unique as
> a location is a very good thing.

Don't be too sure at the centimeter level.

"The average rate of motion across the San Andreas Fault Zone during the past 3
million years is 56 mm/yr (2 in/yr). " --
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/learn/facts.php

I like Chris Schmidt's quote: "The world is fuzzier than you realize".

Allan

> bobb
>

> On 10/5/2010 8:52 PM, Landon Blake wrote:
>> The geonames ontology looks like it might work for me. I'll read it over
>> tomorrow.
>>
>> Thanks for the suggestion.
>>
>> Landon
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On Oct 5, 2010, at 5:45 PM, "Ian Turton"<ijtur...@gmail.com>  wrote:

>>> You might want to look at http://www.geonames.org/ontology/ which RDFs
>>> the GeoNames database.
>>>
>>> Ian
>>> --
>>> Ian Turton
>>
>> Warning:
>> Information provided via electronic media is not guaranteed against defects
>> including translation and transmission errors. If the reader is not the
>> intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
>> distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you
>> have received this information in error, please notify the sender
>> immediately.

Allan Doyle
Director of Technology
MIT Museum | http://web.mit.edu/museum | +1.617.452.2111