On 05/05/16 12:24, Peter Baumann wrote:
OSGeo is entering new domains with rasdaman, which is: scientific
research projects. Like some other communities, these have existed long
before OSGeo, and have their own ethics, procedures, and rules. It is
unlikely that science will change and give up freedom of research based
on its principles well accepted by the whole community. If OSGeo intends
to change these in general then maybe starting with rasdaman as an
isolated item in a vast universe is not the optimal point.

AFAIK, there are many academics (including me), paid by grants or otherwise, that work on OSGeo projects, including for work paid with these grants, without this causing any problems. I have never seen any clash between the logic of the research community and that of OSGeo.

Moritz