Hi, Dirk,

I provided this reference that I think explains it very well:

        http://www.fairvote.org/fair_representation#ranked_choice_voting_pr

I didn’t want to sidetrack the more general discussion here, but I’ll give a
schematic overview.

1) The basic idea is that voters rank some or all of the N candidates on the
ballot from 1-N. This is a simple process with which we are all familiar, and
allows us to express our true preferences without strategic considerations such
as fear of spoiler candidates.

2) The vote-counting is more complicated but can be easily calculated on
computers. All first-place votes are counted, and any candidates are elected
that reach a threshold fraction of the vote (which depends on the number of
seats). Any votes beyond the threshold are then transferred to voters’ second
choices rather than being allowed to pile up for these candidates and thereby
be “wasted”. If seats remain to be filled after this, the candidate with the
least number of votes is dropped and their votes are transferred to their
voters’ lower-ranked choices, and the process begins again, until all seats are
filled.

The result in multi-candidate elections is effectively proportional
representation because even candidates without initial majority support may
pick up support with each round. Those candidates will reflect minority
interests such as those of the Rest of the World (and/or others), and bring
their perspectives to the board for discussion. Right now with our at-large
system a majority block of voters can elect every member of the board to the
exclusion of others.

RCV is used in many places such as Ireland and Australia, as well as in many
cities such as Cambridge, Massachusetts (since 1941!), and in many
organizations such as the Academy Awards.

— Andy