On 6/5/20 4:50 PM, Even Rouault wrote:

On vendredi 5 juin 2020 14:18:42 CEST Jody Garnett wrote:

> Interesting so some of the 5000+ WMS services attributed to geoserver may

> be mapserver instances?

I imagine someone with sufficient time and determination could actually do much
more than saying this is a Geoserver, this is a Mapserver. You could actually
probably tell the precise version number. One advantage of being open source is
that our bug trackers are public too. So by looking at which bug a deployment
has or not, you could really refine the identification. But that would indeed
be time consuming and cumbersome to do. I guess only black hat hackers would be
interesting in that :-)

But probably more easily: triggering exception situations in WMS/WFS/etc
protocols should help to find the implementation. Error messages are really
implementation specific. But maybe part of that was actually done.

Even

I'm not sure with GeoServer, but MapServer is very easy to tell from the
XML comment (which reminds me, I need to update my MapServer installs).

No parameters:

        https://www.example.org/datasets/wms.map?

No query information to decode. QUERY_STRING is set, but empty.

or, depending on how the server is setup

      mapserv(): Web application error. Traditional BROWSE mode requires a
TEMPLATE in the WEB section, but none was provided.

Missing WMS REQUEST parameter:

https://www.example.org/datasets/wms.map?SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.3.0

<ServiceExceptionReport version="1.3.0" xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.opengis.net/ogc
http://schemas.opengis.net/wms/1.3.0/exceptions_1_3_0.xsd";><ServiceException>
*msWMSDispatch()*: WMS server error. Incomplete WMS request: REQUEST parameter
missing
</ServiceException></ServiceExceptionReport>

GetCapabilities:

https://www.example.org/datasets/wms.map?SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.3.0&Request=GetCapabilities

      <WMS_Capabilities version="1.3.0" xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.opengis.net/wms
http://schemas.opengis.net/wms/1.3.0/capabilities_1_3_0.xsd http://www.opengis.net/sld
http://schemas.opengis.net/sld/1.1.0/sld_capabilities.xsd http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/mapserver
http://www.example.org/datasets/wms.map?SERVICE=WMS&service=WMS&version=1.3.0&request=GetSchemaExtension";>*<!--**
** MapServer version 7.0.5 OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=KML SUPPORTS=PROJ
SUPPORTS=AGG SUPPORTS=FREETYPE SUPPORTS=CAIRO SUPPORTS=SVG_SYMBOLS
SUPPORTS=RSVG SUPPORTS=ICONV SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WMS_CLIENT
SUPPORTS=WFS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WFS_CLIENT SUPPORTS=WCS_SERVER SUPPORTS=SOS_SERVER
SUPPORTS=FASTCGI SUPPORTS=THREADS SUPPORTS=GEOS INPUT=JPEG INPUT=POSTGIS
INPUT=OGR INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE **
**-->*<Service><Name>WMS</Name>...