Date: 02/25/05 01:21:40
Subject: [slim] switched to wireless -- now squeezebox reboots at random

I turned off WEP and the SB is still rebooting at random.

I don't know where to turn from here.  I've tried every channel, turned off
WEP, reverted to a B-only network, I have strong signal strength, no
cordless phones, no microwaves, I've turned off dynamic IP addressing -- I
don't know what else to do.

As far as I can tell, Squeezebox is COMPLETELY and TOTALLY WORTHLESS for the
advertised purpose of "wireless music".

I would have expected Slim Devices, or any competent designer of wireless
electronics, to have provided a reasonable workaround -- dropouts,
anything -- but REBOOTING, frequently and randomly, is absolutely,
positively unforgivable.

I strongly suspect that the "6 to 8 weeks" lead time on new wireless
squeezeboxs is due to the fact that Slim D. finally figured out that they
are utter pieces of shit, and are working feverishly to prepare a new batch
for shipment, before they lose too many more customers -- like me.

I will henceforth be plugging my portable MP3 jukebox into my home theater
system, until I can find a better solution.  I will not be purchasing
another squeezebox, nor recommending them to anyone -- in fact I will be
recommending that people stay far, far away.  At least my MP3 jukebox can
keep an accurate count of how many songs are in my MP3 library.

It's been a brief and pointless affair.  I can't even begin to tell you how
disappointed I am.  All I really wanted was an MP3 jukebox with a nice
display, that had remote control functionality.  Slim and the SB just don't
cut it, with their alpha-level open source software and flaky hardware.
Looking forward to the Samsung HT-P50 so my MP3 jukebox can be directly
accessed and controlled through my home theater system.

Flame away all you want. I don't care. I won't be reading the e-mail threads
any more, since I no longer consider myself a Squeezebox or Slim Devices
fan.

Oh, and by the way, I have a slightly used "wireless" squeezebox for sale,
if anyone's stupid enough to purchase it.