On Sat, Mar 05, 2005 at 10:12:35PM +0100, T wrote:

> Of course they had no say in it, as they're not in the EU.
>
> But why did they implement it, and in such a manner?

Although Norway is not part of the EU, it is a part of EFTA (which is
kinda of a trade block, I guess. Haven't really looked into it).
Anyways, to get access to the EU's inner marked, EFTA (and their
members) agreed to implement EU's laws and directives.  Think of it
like taxation without representation.  EFTA used to be a little more
powerful, with members like Sweden, Denmark, UK, Portugal, but since
those countries joined the EU, we have tiny countries like Norway and
Lichtenstein left with no say (personally somewhat frustrated because
the No to EU side, basically forced this agreement through. Their
argument being that Norway could have all the benefits of EU
membership without actually being a member). Norway could object to
implementing directives they didn't like, but the EU would certainly
penalize any objections, and since the trade block is too small, in
reality, Norway at this moment has no say.

As to why it got implemented in that manner, who knows?  The law was
submitted by the Cultural Department as their interpretation of the
InfoSoc directive.

--
John L. Fjellstad