Well, even if Sean had answered you I doubt we would have seen a different
personality from you here.  You certainly seem very eager to vent your angst
towards all things Slim.

A glut of Squeezeboxen on eBay?  I see four of them up for sale, most of
them look like they will be going for well over $150 which would bring the
cost of upgrading to the new unit down to $100 or so after the coupon deal.

If companies made it their habit to tell their customers about all their new
plans, well in advance, or offer trade-in deals that cost them $$$ they
would soon go out of business.

Maybe you should inquire with Roku about what their upgrade policy is.  Last
time I checked they didn't offer even a 30 day money back guarentee.