for SB2, but that wasn't my question. My question, again, relates to the
availability of ogg support in firmware - and if it is possible for that
support to be provisioned in SB2.

Quoting Jason jason at pagefamily.net

Transcoding to FLAC requires very little overhead and is lossless, so what
is the problem?  Ogg support would be nice but it's without a doubt the
least used format out there (even apple lossless seems to have more
devotees) and slim is providing a totally accepteable solution (transcoding
to a lossless format).