> Don't get me wrong, I like .ogg - I just see no point in implementing a
> portable format directly on the squeezebox.

I do.
If it used could use ogg for streaming lossy format, there is a better
chance that it would be accepted in Linux distros on the installation
CD with hackers from the distribution adding cool features (like a
gstreamer client etc.)

There are Linux distros that ship without vorbis packages? Anyway, what does that have to do with the Squeezebox? Porting a decoder to the sb2's architecture requires work, whereas you can use the well-tested and optimized "official" binaries on your server.

But there's one thing I just noticed: STREAMING. If by that you mean seeking support for the various server decoded formats, I'm all for it but that hopefully doesn't require a full decoder.

C.