Dave Owen wrote:
Phil, you CERTAINLY have enough hardware for this!

I'll second that. I -was- running 5.4.1 on e-smith (redhat7.3-based)
server on a Pentium 3-500mhz that also serves as firewall, NAT, and
web/file/mail server, and had an occasional hiccup if someone hit the
web server while I was listening to music. Once I kicked up to an 800mhz
Pentium 3 with 512mb of memory and SOFTWARE Raid (so CPU intensive), I
haven't had any hiccups -- and music scanning is very quick, to boot...

Were you transcoding FLAC to uncompressed PCM? That's what I do with most of my music. I don't think I've ever had a problem when mp3 files are decoded natively on the Squeezebox. The SB buffer is big enough for that. The interrupted playback problem occurs only when the server decodes to PCM on the fly, and the Squeezebox buffer empties much more quickly.

--Phil