----- Original Message ----- From: "Ken Gilmore" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <discuss@lists.slimdevices.com>
Sent: Sunday, March 27, 2005 10:12 PM
Subject: Re: [slim] New Item Request- Squeezebox with amplifier

Not many folks used powered speakers, or would want to

I totally disagree. Powered speakers are actually a great innovation. Matching amps with speakers has always been a black art; better that they do it at the factory - that way they can tailor the amp to the driver(s) and perform any EQ needed to get the best performance.

Adding amplifiers to the Squeezebox seems completely
unnecessary.  It's like asking for a CD player with an amp -
sure it's been done before but the vast majority just want the
source component.

Of the hundreds of systems that I've listened to over the years, I can count on one hand the number that utilized powered speakers. A few more were said to be 'active', with an outboard amp/crossover - which is a bit better approach to a manufacturer's desire to match amp and speaker, IMO. There just aren't very many powered speakers sold because few people are interested in them. People who care about sound quality want the flexibility to find that perfect amp (or find the perfect speakers for the amp they love). The mass market wouldn't know what to do with powered speakers if you gave them away - because they have a 2 or 7.1 channel receiver in their system.

Anyway, the kind of system that we're talking about - Squeezebox, inexpensive amp, and speakers isn't an audiophile-class playback system - not by a long shot, so amp/speaker matching isn't a consideration for the intended market. It's a second or third system for the kitchen, or the bedroom, or the garage. An amplified Squeezebox would just be a very convenient, compact device to achieve this and would sound fine in 99% of its intended applications.