Ok - third attempt:

Slimserver running on Win2k sp4
AlienBBC 0.94 (I installed all codecs from the mplayer downloads and installed
them into the appropriate codecs folder)
Slimserver 6.0.0
Squeezebox (original, not SB2) (firmware 40)

I've been playing about with AlienBBC, as I thought it would be cool to get
radio through my SB.  It's nearly there, but not quite.

I can connect to radio stations, and can hear playback.  But playback is
unterrupted by a pause every few seconds.  For example, I can start listening
to Chris Moyles through the "Listen Again" section, and I get sound and can
make out most of what is going on.  But every few seconds there is a break in
playback.  I mean literally - every 5 or 6 seconds - it just stops playback.
So far, all stations I've tried (3 or 4) give the same result: I can hear them
and the quality is very good - it just keeps getting interrupted, which makes
it kind of hard to listen to :-(  The counter still counts the time with no
pause, so I guess that things are still working in the background - it's just
the sound that is messing about.

'Normal' playback (of MP3s) works fine, with no interruptions.

I'm guessing it is something to do with the buffer.  I was wondering if there
is a specific setting I can use to increase the buffer size to stop the breaks
in playback?  I tried adding the buffer fullness to the display, but this
doesn't seem to work with AlienBBC (??)

I have a broadband connection through NTL Cable - rated at 1.5MB download.  I'm
hoping that this should be ok for streaming?

Any advice welcome!  It's *so* close, but not quite there :-(

Cheers!
Dan.