When I was working with the handheld skin on 5.4.x on my Axim I saw a
very similar issue, where  a song would keep restarting at the
beginning from almost the same point every time.

It seemed that particular problem was related to the pocketIE browser
refreshing the page.  Each time it periodically refreshed, it started
the song over.  When I closed it, the songs started playing through.