Just wondering.  It would seem to me that if there was some sort of
loop-back audio device driver for Windows that this could be used to
support DRM-protected music playing to a Squeezbox.  The idea would be
that you could control Windows Media Player to play the DRM-protected
music, capture the audio output from the virtual audio driver, and send
it back out to the Squeezbox.

High Criteria (the Total Recorder people) have an SDK version of their product that I imagine would enable someone to code up something like this. It would be a huge plus on Windows; basically, it would allow us to get around all the BS involved with proprietary DRM-based music clients and let us fairly easily redirect streams from those clients to the SlimServer via the Total Recorder virtual sound card driver.

http://www.highcriteria.com/productfr_trDEV.htm

   "Total Recorder Developer Edition brings all of the recording
   features and controls of Total Recorder Professional Edition, to
   programmers and their applications. Total Recorder DE includes OLE
   Automation support that provides a programming interface to Total
   Recorder functions. It features a dual interface and is a convenient
   way for any programming or scripting language that supports OLE
   Automation, to invoke Total Recorder functionality to record
   streaming audio or sound input on any of your sound card's input
   jacks."

I'm fairly certain that if such an app were developed it could then be given away for free, i.e., no restrictions, even though the Total Recorder SDK itself is commercial software.

For anyone interested in simply seeing what they give you in the SDK and trying it out, note:

   "Evaluation copies of Total Recorder Developer Edition are available
   for download with the following links. The evaluation copies are
   fully functional versions of the program, with the exception that an
   audible noise will be inserted about every 60 seconds throughout the
   recording. For unlimited recording without the insertion of an
   audible noise, you must purchase a Total Recorder license."

Pretty reasonable terms for an eval, just to see if anything might come of it. The license costs $99, and I'm sure any number of people here (myself included) would be happy to chip in should someone develop something workable with the eval copy.

If I knew more about Windows programming, I'd give it a try myself.

SBB

Visit our website at http://www.ubs.com

This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.

E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If verification is required please request a hard-copy version. This message is provided for informational purposes and should not be construed as a solicitation or offer to buy or sell any securities or related financial instruments.