Yes at present the display data continues to be sent to the player even if brightness is 0 - its simply that the player doesn't display it.

Perhaps you could raise a bug to record it as an enhancement request (though I am not sure of the simplet way of dealing with it at present.)

Adrian

I use the RSS screensaver when my SB2 is in standby mode, but I tend to
leave the brightness level at 0.  This lets me quickly call up the
headlines by pressing brightness, but means I don't have the display
scrolling constantly when the device is "off".  I've got my wireless
router in a visible location at the moment, and I've just noticed that
the activity lights go like crazy when the only device active is the
SB2 and it is off (brightness==0).  I'm guessing that the scrolling
data is being sent to the SB2 even though it isn't being displayed.  Am
I right and, if so, wouldn't it make more sense for the screensaver to
do nothing when the display is off?