oiler1fan Wrote:
> I just transferred some of my old vinyl favorites into .wav format using
> Nero Wave Editor.  When I play the songs back thru iTunes everything is
> perfect - equalized volume with all the other existing files and pretty
> good quality too.  Problem is when I playback thru my Squeezebox - the
> volume levels of the new files are very depressed when compared to the
> others.  Why and how do I fix it?
First of all, normalise your WAV files to make sure they peak to 100%.
You'll now find that they probably still don't sound as loud as the
files you've ripped from CDs (especially if those CDs are from about
1990 or later). This is because LPs are mastered with greater dynamic
range than modern CDs, and so on average they sound quieter.

If you genuinely want your LP recordings to sound as loud as the CD
rips, then the only thing you can do is apply some dynamic range
compression, using a suitable audio editor. But be warned that this is
a non-linear process and introduces some amount of distortion.

If you just want your LP recordings and CD rips to sound equally loud,
and are prepared to turn up the volume generally, then the best
solution is to apply an appropriate amount of less-than-unity gain to
the CD rips. use an audio editor to analyse the WAV files and discover
the RMS level. Then apply a corresponding decrease in volume to the CD
rip. (For example, if a CD rip has an RMS level of -15dB, and an LP rip
has an RMS level of -25db, apply -10dB of gain to the CD rip). This
process is for all practical purposes linear and will not introduce
distortion. (For the nit-pickers out there: yes I know that there will
be minor arithmetic rounding errors and the very quietest parts could
fall into the quantisation noise, but modern CDs are so incompetently
mastered that these very small artifacts will probably be inaudible).

--
cliveb