thekirbyfake;332818 Wrote:
> I'm considering a change to a cable internet from my phoneline internet
> and the cable company (Virgin) tells me I'll get a DSL router as my
> existing ADSL router won't work with cable.
>
> Firstly will the SQB3 work with a DSL router?  (I assume this is a
> simple yes?)
>
> Secondly I had to buy a stronger ADSL router because one of my units is
> in a conservatory and the signal has to travel through an outside wall.
> I'm assuming the standard DSL router they'll provide will be weak so can
> I plug the ADSL router into the DSL router to get the internet radio
> stations and keep the existing SQB wireless network via my old router?
>
> Thanks

I think there is a little confusion here - when you say Virgin, I
assume you mean Virgin Media and you're in the UK?

Firstly, ADSL if a variant of DSL - as far as I understand it all
consumer DSL is ADSL.

At the moment you more than likely have ADSL with which you are using
an ADSL wireless router. This is a wireless router with an integrated
ADSL modem.

If you are changing to Virgin Media cable then they will supply you
with a cable modem so you'll need to buy a standard wireless router
that you will plug your cable modem into.

You will (almost certainly) not be able to plug the Virgin Media cable
modem into your ADSL wireless router.

If you are changing to cable then what the cable company said about
changing from an ADSL router to a DSL router is pretty much nonsense.

Once everything is set up SBs shoudld work with any router.

I hope that clears things up a little.

--
elziko